Friday, January 6, 2012

Call to Vocational Changes

Recently I watched a program on Public Television that reported on the life and work of an area art teacher whose paintings have become fashionable enough to elevate him to area artistic fame.  In the midst of his interview he made a comment about how enthusiastic his students are to begin learning the artistic process only to simmer out and grow cold and disillusioned when they realize how much time they will have to spend alone perfecting their craft.  There is an illusion of a some sort of social and celebratory environment for artists that does not tell the true story of the need for diligence, determination, and discipline.

Today, I am in the midst of a vocational transformation from social service worker to writer.  On one level this is not too much of a stretch for I have always written through the years of social service positions.  On another level, the level of what fills my days and stirs my creative passions, it is a complete change…a change from being surrounded by people and need to writing about people and need within the more silent world of thought.  My prayer is that within this new framework that God will give me continued opportunities of being merciful to others.  My prior profession has educated me immensely about social systems and how to maneuver through their sometimes unjust and ineffectual natures.  I was able to see the strength it gave someone to be able to let them know realistically in all its good and bad what to expect; this armored them and kept many from retreating and fading into the margins of our society.

But I am in the midst of a different spiritual season.  God has called and I answered.  As Mary asks Joseph in the movie, The Nativity Story, “Are you scared?” and he replies with a humble chuckle “Yes, are you?” so am I.  It is scary to head down unknown roads without a living, breathing mentor; someone I could go to coffee with and talk about how the book(s) are coming along and get trusted feedback; someone whose knowledge of the profession would help me to miss obstacles.   So, I have been placing this more and more upon the altar of my prayers and thinking about the need for a religious community that shares in the gift of the written word.  My concern is that I would given their opinions too much weight and lose site of the direction that the Holy Spirit has ordained.  I was brought up to respect the words of the religious and ordained, not discard it.  So there would need to be growth in this.

Today I continue my “Query Letter” requirements and working on my personal lamentation that will be incorporated into the endings of the book’s chapters.  This is integration and I challenge all who read this to look at their lives and “wonder” about God’s Will and if there is anything that they have had a “nagging” sense of throughout their lifetimes and feel free to share for integration of our faith can only lead to a more peaceful acceptance of who we, as individuals, were authentically created to be.  God Bless…

No comments:

Post a Comment